South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I can feel the obsession

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

I can feel the obsession Empty
PostSubject: I can feel the obsession   I can feel the obsession EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 6:37 am

I have a confession. I recently re-discovered Subbuteo and ran out and bought several teams to start a good league.... however, they are all Zuego teams. Now realize that other types are still available for collection...... HW LW Zombie.. So what advice can you all give on how to get into the collection hobby and what to collect.
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

PostSubject: Re: I can feel the obsession   I can feel the obsession EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 7:53 am

As this is an old subbuteo forum most of us collect HW's, being the type we played with originally. The HW is recognised as the best figure that was produced and consequently is generally more expensive. Prices for them are relatively low at the moment compared to the last couple of years. If you go for the more common refs you can pick a lot up for £10 - £15 at present on ebay. With the common ones you are also less likely to get teams that have been repainted.
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

PostSubject: Re: I can feel the obsession   I can feel the obsession EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 8:24 am

I can see I'll have to set a budget here. Have had a good look at Subbuteoworld, but ebay is always a minefield for a newbie. Any advice where to look for quality reasonably priced teams?
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

PostSubject: Re: I can feel the obsession   I can feel the obsession EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 8:44 am

Subbuteoworld and similar sites are comparatively expensive but you are assured good quality. I would still risk ebay rather than pay the extra, particularly if you are buying the more common teams. Tips are to only buy where there is a decent photo and a clear description ie no breaks, repairs, repaints etc.
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: I can feel the obsession   I can feel the obsession EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 8:51 am

"The HW is recognised as the best figure that was produced"

that is a matter of opinion Wink
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

PostSubject: Re: I can feel the obsession   I can feel the obsession EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 5:33 pm

ralphtheclaret wrote:
"The HW is recognised as the best figure that was produced"

that is a matter of opinion Wink

When i was typing that I thought, Ralph will be spitting blood when he reads this. Laughing In my opinion flats are an entirely different product to the OHW, HW, LW, Zombies, Walkers, Scarecrows etc but were probably the best playing figure. Ralph is now saying 'There is no probable about it' Laughing
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: I can feel the obsession   I can feel the obsession EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:35 am

Laughing I also like the 80's/early 90's LW's as they play very much like Cellys...spin and curl to my hearts content much easier than H/W's they are great for playing 5 aside with the kids
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

PostSubject: Re: I can feel the obsession   I can feel the obsession EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 9:35 pm

collecting subby for 5 years now - all CHW's - and i love it.
it can be all consuming though so be well aware of how it can escalate once you start.
tips from my experience:-

1. read the forums regularly so as to avoid the repainters if you are going to get into handpainted teams
2. get to meet other collectors in person so you can compare colours of teams to get to know the correct shades of subbuteo teams. going to the fairs is a good start
3. remember the principle of "condition,condition,condition". ie,try to avoid buying teams in below average condition and expect to pay a bit more for very good condition/mint teams.that includes the box too.
4. be prepared to make/accept mistakes. i am sure every successful collector has been caught out by the repainters so this will happen. dont dwell on it or get too down about it - see it as an occupational hazard and learn from it.just keep it to a minimum.
5. if you can afford to then buy job lots even if some/most of the teams are ones you have.you can sell on the ones you have and more often than not you will end up paying nothing for the teams you keep from the lot.
6. dont be shy in asking for advice on the forums.

as far as "best" figures go - there isnt one. the best figure is the one you like.
i only collect chw's because personally i find them the most pleasing on the eye but also because that was the figure i grew up with in the mid seventies.
unfortunately they do carry the greatest risk of being conned as they are all handpainted.

good luck and enjoy
Back to top Go down
http://www.subbuteowanted.co.uk
subbuteoman

PostSubject: Re: I can feel the obsession   I can feel the obsession EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 11:33 am

I got the obsession myself about a year ago so I know how you feel. But what a wonderful obsession it is. I would agree with the advice given above.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I can feel the obsession   I can feel the obsession Empty

Back to top Go down

I can feel the obsession
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
South England Lionhearts :: OLD SUBBUTEO :: General-
Jump to: