South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Saturday Morning STRIP.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brian9999

The Saturday Morning STRIP. Empty
PostSubject: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 8:36 pm

As some of you are aware, my interest in Warhammer miniatures, especially old Citadel, is on the increase. Although this is not Subbuteo related, this info and set of photos may be of some use for those that like to paint their teams from scratch for their own collections. For the record, my eye sight is now so poor, I am barely able to paint a garden gate, without splashing next door's dog. I like the Citadel miniatures stripped then mounted only.

I have tried everything to strip miniatures (including brake fluid - NO LUCK with that !!), experimenting with time soaked, different removers and thought I had hit the jackpot when I discovered NITROMORS. Nitromors is horrible, nasty stuff. It burns the hands, must be used in a well ventilated area etc etc. Plus it is quite expensive and it's longevity is poor.

I stumbled on a YT video where a fella used plain old neat DETTOL The fella had success with stripping plastic miniatures..but my interest lay with the older (more collectable) metal variants. I decided to take a try.

Here's my set up (from left to right) OLD dettol (neat), Acetone (neat - nail varnish remover) and plain tap water :-

The Saturday Morning STRIP. Image1

Here's a photo of the awful miniature, after 3 hours soak in Dettol :-

The Saturday Morning STRIP. Image2

Now with a quick rinse in Acetone...and a little scrubbing with the old tooth brush, it turns out like this :-

The Saturday Morning STRIP. Image3

The PLASTIC base of the miniature, after the soak, is now in PERFECT condition and is ready for re-use.

Here's another few photos

The Saturday Morning STRIP. Image4

The Saturday Morning STRIP. Image5

I have some (horrible re-painted) Subbuteo spares about and intend to try this method on those. I will post images of the experiment later in the week, if my sciatic nerve issue eases of a little.

If this thread is TOO off-topic, I apologise, but I thought I would share this info with any interested party.

Last edited by brian9999 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://subbuteocriminals.blogspot.com/
fingers

fingers

PostSubject: Re: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 8:44 pm

brian9999 wrote:
(i) I have some (horrible re-painted) Subbuteo spares about and intend to try this method on those. I will post images of the experiment later in the week, if my sciatic nerve issue eases of a little.
(ii) If this thread is TOO off-topic, I apologise, but I thought I would share this info with any interested party.

In the absence of (i), you could possibly be found guilty of (ii) Laughing

However, many Subbuteo stadiums are built using 'lightbulb' moments from other hobbies - it's the application of this learning that is always a fascinating read.Wink
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Outstanding results.

Although the fumes from that stuff can't be healthy. I know some of the lads in Italy have found a product that strips teams without ruining the bases. Unfortunately not available over here. I recently stripped an overpainted HW team and painted it into a Roma 'lollipop' 2nd kit...looked stunning. Shame i had to give it to someone else really...
Back to top Go down
brian9999

PostSubject: Re: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:00 pm

spudski wrote:

Although the fumes from that stuff can't be healthy. I know some of the lads in Italy have found a product that strips teams without ruining the bases. Unfortunately not available over here. I recently stripped an overpainted HW team and painted it into a Roma 'lollipop' 2nd kit...looked stunning. Shame i had to give it to someone else really...

It does "pong a bit" as we say over here. Luckily the three greenhouses are a couple 100 feet away from the house.

Thanks for the kind remarks chaps, it's appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Puffin

Puffin

PostSubject: Re: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:40 pm

nice one Brian. Is the first model something from the imperial Guard? The symbol on the hat looks familiar...its been years since I've painted Warhammer stuff. Blood Bowl was my favourite
Back to top Go down
brian9999

PostSubject: Re: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Puffin wrote:
nice one Brian. Is the first model something from the imperial Guard? The symbol on the hat looks familiar...its been years since I've painted Warhammer stuff. Blood Bowl was my favourite

As of yet he remains unidentified. This is where the fun usually starts..cramming books..checking websites. All good fun thought Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wrightenberg

Wrightenberg

PostSubject: Re: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 1:04 am

Nice set up, Brian

I've never stripped with Dettol, I generally use oven cleaner to totally strip players - fumes are quite bad so I generally do it in the shed or put a mask on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wrightenberg.co.uk/
Puffin

Puffin

PostSubject: Re: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 1:51 am

I think it may be one of these

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Kasrkin

by the looks of the painted models in the small picture they look similar.

I also tend to use oven cleaner to completely strip old players. tend to just completley cover them in the stuff for a few hours inside an old tupperware container. That way the smell is contained
Back to top Go down
brian9999

PostSubject: Re: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 2:00 am

Hey Puffin, thanks for the link. Most definitely an "Imperial guard kasrkin storm trooper"

Nice spotting Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Puffin

Puffin

PostSubject: Re: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 2:02 am

no worries Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Saturday Morning STRIP.   The Saturday Morning STRIP. Empty

Back to top Go down

The Saturday Morning STRIP.
Page 1 of 1