South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sad collecting story.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
spudski

spudski

Sad collecting story. Empty
PostSubject: Sad collecting story.   Sad collecting story. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:08 am

A little while back I purchased a ref 177 in ref box, at Maidenhead from Jon.

It had the non catalogued 'Bukta' white stripe and 'dots' painted down the sleeve's.

I bought it off Jon as a 'touched up' or 'added to' team, with the intention of restoring it to it's Catologued state.

Yesterday whilst painting a Topspin Team, I had some red paint mixed, so i thought i'd restore the Ref 177.

Anyway...I'm painting over the arms, then looking closer and closer at the team in question. I started to question...'Is this the painting of a child or something SSG might have done? The white paint and the red dot's were all in keeping with the SSG way of painting, and the colours conformed to the time.

Being in a late short box, it occured to me, that SSG could have added these to sell. Especially as the original kit that is catalogued was finished being actually worn in 73/74.

Too late though...I'd already painted 3 players, when all of this crossed my mind. So i finished the team off, wishing i hadn't.

I know other teams have been done by SSG using this method. The Burnley 2nd is a good example, as Ralph and Marley32 could testify.

So annoying now... Wish i'd left it as it was. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

PostSubject: Re: Sad collecting story.   Sad collecting story. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:56 am

omg - so you reckon it may have been original?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.subbuteowanted.co.uk
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

PostSubject: Re: Sad collecting story.   Sad collecting story. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:56 am

and for the record it was at ely last september
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: Sad collecting story.   Sad collecting story. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:03 am

My gut feeling, was that it was original Jon...but who know's?

All the signs were their to say this...I was half asleep, then woke up and noticed. Doh!!!

Wonder why i didn't pick up on this at Ely...to busy chatting as usual. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

PostSubject: Re: Sad collecting story.   Sad collecting story. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:08 am

yes and if you are good then you can get as good as if not better prices being upfront that it is you that has painted it!
even subbuteo world are selling declared repaints now
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: Sad collecting story.   Sad collecting story. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:21 am

I'd be very wary of who i gave it too Jon.

I can see the one's SubbuteoWorld are selling, ending up back on the market as originals. You just know it's going to happen.

Maybe an idelable marker that can only be seen under infra red, used on the disc with the letters RP as in repaint, would be a good way of stopping it?
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: Sad collecting story.   Sad collecting story. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 2:01 am

Here's a photo of the part restored Team. I forgot to mention the added sock tops. Rolling Eyes

What's even stranger, is seeing the team in the large photo. The sock tops look gloss white. In the hand they are as matt and as dull as they come. Just goes to show you can't always trust a photo.

I'll leave the socks...to much hassle to restore them. They don't look too bad tbh.

Sad collecting story. 004-61
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

PostSubject: Re: Sad collecting story.   Sad collecting story. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 6:57 am

thats a top effort mate.
having owned the team as it was i can make a mental comparison and you really cant tell.
yes the old subject of selling repaints will always be a controversial one.

here's my current 177

Sad collecting story. 17711
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

PostSubject: Re: Sad collecting story.   Sad collecting story. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:20 am

I love the HW177 kit ... simple, but striking!

Also like the style of font shown on Jon's box - probably my favourite Subbuteo font.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sad collecting story.   Sad collecting story. Empty

Back to top Go down

Sad collecting story.
Page 1 of 1