South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HORSE for the COURSE

Go down 
+2
ralphtheclaret
ESSGEE
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

HORSE for the COURSE Empty
PostSubject: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:12 am

Sixteen runners go to post in the WYCOMBE WORLD CUP on Sunday 3rd July 2011 writes Felix Tango ( Freelance Subbuteo Reporter )

The CREME DE CRESSEX and BEST OF THE REST will compete for bragging rights, and no doubt put their best finger forward in the race for the most prestigious and coveted prize in Subbuteo. The WORLD CUP TROPHY, is the first prize to ever draw drool from a grown man's mouth. It will whet the dreamers' appetite, and even raise a flicker in the underpant department of the most hardened tournament pro!

In an unforgiving format, their will be no allowance for 'stallers' in the field. Group qualifiers will have just fourteen minutes in which to seperate themselves from the 'also rans' on the day, and just one small slip could see them lose a foothold in the knockout phase.

The 'up front' runners and 'hiders' will be sweating it up from 9am, when shakey fingers will be introducing their colours to the 'green' and start to warm up their motor skills in readiness for the GRAND INTERNATIONAL!

Fat, slim or sporting, everybody has a chance. But although many are capable of being 'in it to win it' for ninety percent of the trip, I suspect it is going to take a true 'stayer' to flick on in the final stages and nose ahead at the business end.

There is real concern for the long distance travellers that have been drawn in the proverbial 'group of death!' They could be spent forces when the competition starts in earnest, especially given the tough obstacles they face en route.

GREAT SPORTING RESULTS often have a hint of romance about them, and if the Lionhearts Forum can be trusted, John Phillips will be 100 years old in the run up to this event. The 'old boy' still looks a long way off retirement and would be a popular winner. It would certainly be a fitting accomplishment to mark his centenary year!

HORSE for the COURSE Wink

Callum Smith, after landing no less than nine trophies last season, and rumoured to be employing new tactics, will be right up in the van, and has to be the one they all have to beat.

However, an ALL TIME LEADERBOARD doesn't lie!

The shrewd punt is Mark Smith. Last years winner is peaking at exactly the right time. Recent 'outings' suggest the reigning champion has been targeting this one all along, and he has stepped up on all previous known form. It's the Mark Smith of old, but with a few more bells and whistles attached!

Yep! The BRANDON BOMBER is the NEW JOLLY, and very bullish about his own chances too! Recently heard singing in the bath with the window wide open ... "It's stayin' home, it's stayin', the GOLD BALL's stayin' home!"

Jokin' aside, MAIDENPARK VALE is definitely the HORSE for this course. So what's with the LONG FACE, Smudger?

Laughing
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:50 pm

shame about the use any bases rule or he might have had more runners and riders Wink good luck to anyone playing properly against the sliders
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:49 pm

Mark runs both OldSubbuteo and NewSubbuteo Leagues independently, and so I think the intention was to offer something for all. But to be honest, he hosts it at home, and with three pitches in play, sixteen is probably a sensible maximum.

A few of us played half of our games using retro bases in the European Cup tournament in January, Ralph. And I believe Mark is having quite a bit of success using SuperFooty bases at the moment, simply because they are able to curl in behind enemy lines.

cheers

Whatever your pleasure is, I say bring it to the table and enjoy.
I have found that playing with retro bases against modern bases has improved my game. I also observe that Spudski has become much faster in the attacking quarter as a result of playing against the newbies too.

Wink

Hope you will consider pitching your favourites next time up.
It's always a good day at Smudger's.

Mark is a fantastic host!
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:24 pm

all that may indeed be true..Is this not an OS forum ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:16 am

Yep!

This is a tournament played to OldSubbuteo rules, where players play with retro bases ( or not ), and about half the entrants are members of this community.
It will also be played in the same spirit as any OldSubbuteo gig.

Razz

The only thing missing from my preview, I thought, was a 'blinkered' player!
I see now, I needn't have worried. Much obliged, Ralphy!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
wycombetablefootball

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words Steve mate.

The Tournament is going to be a great day and I am working hard to ensure all goes to plan ( I have even taken a few days off work to prepare it all ! ).

I do think flat bases have a good role to play in the world of Subbuteo, even old Subbuteo. This is because Old Subbuteo with Retro figures can be so hard to get used to and as the game is desperate for younger players to start playing, the retro bases put the youngsters off the game very quickly.

However, by introducing them to the flat bases modern game, they can develop thier skills and enjoy the game and then feel more comfortable giving the retro bases a go.

This worked a treat with my own son Kieran. He just did not enjoy playing with retro bases two years ago as he could not use them well enough to enjoy the game. He instead played only in our premier league with flat bases. Two years on and he now feels confident enough to try retro bases and this season he joined in the retro league we run. He is bottom of the league but is not being destroyed in every game now and is enjoying it now that he has gained some skills and experience from the easier to learn modern game.

So while yes, this is an OS forum, the modern game is still a big part of it as it makes it much easier to introduce new players to the retro game so that in 30 years time the game will survive and not ONLY be played by wrinkly old men !
Back to top Go down
http://www.wycombetablefootball.webs.com
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 7:38 pm

As long as everyone is having fun...that's all that counts in my book.

And if the kids get into the game and start playing with Subbuteo figures in the future...even better.

I know everyone i've met on here...plays in the Oldsubbuteo spirit...which is great.

There are not enough people who play Subbuteo in this Country. So to encourage them in whatever way possible...then so be it.

We live in a different World these days...and kids want instant gratification, and don't seem to want to put the effort in the gain the rewards. It happens in everything...not just Subbuteo. It's the way of the world.

I always compare it to Golf. The best players use bladed Clubs, which have been around for years. Many a beginner can't hit one. So they learn using Cavity backed clubs, which are more forgiving. Once they have learnt to play, they soon realise that the Cavity backed Clubs are less responsive, and give you very little options in shaping the ball. Instead of hitting just straight, which a cavity club is designed to do, the Golfer soon realises that he has to be able to shape the ball in all directions to be any good. The bladed club enables this. So they soon change over.

When we were kids, we didn't have these easy options. We either learnt with what was available...or went without.

Glad Kieran is finding the joys of the HW base now Mark. Cool
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Maidenpark 1, 2 and 3 ready for action!

HORSE for the COURSE Img_1910
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 pm

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS ...

An astropitch with straight lines, OldSubbuteo rules, and modern bases that curl as well as retro bases.

Smile

Programmes and certificates all printed!
Programmes detail all the players, fixtures and pitch details, KO times and a place to record all the results.

Mark has an impressive display of trophies up for grabs too.
( Including an exact replica of the current world cup / weight and size )
Medals and key rings for all.

Gonna be a lot of fun!
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Going to be great to catch up with all the Lionhearts' entries, and meet all the new faces too.
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 11:29 pm

Is that a Branding Iron in the Goalmouth Steve? Shocked Laughing

Great looking pitch mate...very nice stripes. I will recommend your Groundsman Wink
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 5:22 am

"I do think flat bases have a good role to play in the world of Subbuteo, even old Subbuteo. This is because Old Subbuteo with Retro figures can be so hard to get used to and as the game is desperate for younger players to start playing, the retro bases put the youngsters off the game very quickly."

really my two youngest are 10 and 8 they wouldn't touch flat bases with a bargepole....there is no place for flat bases in oldsubbuteo according to erm...the oldsubbuteo movement and they should know Wink anyway regardless of my complete disagreement with your points about the bases I sincerely hope all goes well
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 5:26 am

oh and by the way the straight lines/astropitch argument is also complete nonsense I have several baize pitches which afford perfectly straight lines ..that said the pitch above looks great unlike for example some of the pitches provided at Ely
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 5:28 am

"So while yes, this is an OS forum, the modern game is still a big part of it as it makes it much easier to introduce new players to the retro game so that in 30 years time the game will survive and not ONLY be played by wrinkly old men !"

couldn't disagree more..the modern game in actual fact frightens people off mind you at least you allow people to use their preferred bases...I mean I still can't cope with not being able to use genuine cellys to play in OS tournaments...how in heavens name anyone thinks you could alter or cheat with a celly base is beyond me Mad
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 7:40 am

Great tournament! Really enjoyed it.
Witnessed some really spectacular goals, which is always the highlight for me.
Nice to see a few players curling modern bases too.

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://oldsubbuteo.heavenforum.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 7:53 am

spudski wrote:
Is that a Branding Iron in the Goalmouth Steve? Shocked Laughing

Great looking pitch mate...very nice stripes. I will recommend your Groundsman Wink

Laughing

I know people joke about modern keepers, but it occurred to me the other day when looking at the two in comparison that there isn't much between old and new ( If you turn the new upside down that is )

Shocked

What the modern keeper gains in height ( a few millimetres ), it loses in base width ( because it has none ).
And when you turn the modern keeper upside down the area they cover isn't too dissimilar.

This is how I reasoned things out when I recently pondered why the hell I still can't seem to stop anything that hits the target when keeping goal with a supposed metal monster.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://oldsubbuteo.heavenforum.com
Puffin

Puffin

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 4:42 am

Admin wrote:
Great tournament! Really enjoyed it.
Witnessed some really spectacular goals, which is always the highlight for me.
Nice to see a few players curling modern bases too.

Smile

I'll second those comments. It was a fantastic day!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HORSE for the COURSE   HORSE for the COURSE Empty

Back to top Go down

HORSE for the COURSE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
South England Lionhearts :: SUBBUTEO PLAYERS :: Tournaments-
Jump to: