South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
spudski

spudski

When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... Empty
PostSubject: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 am

This is a really interesting read. I don't know how it came about, but somehow the Subbuteo Cricket figures and accesories appeared in another game.

Stick with it, it's interesting...

http://smallscaleworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/c-is-for-cricket-board-games.html
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:45 pm

I have two different sets of the Wicketz game. The Green one is better quality - nice velor interior plus casting, painted figures, sight screens added and the overall feel is nicer. The back of the box is b&w.

The blue box is the newer version and everything about it is 'cheaper' and no sight screens. The back of the box is colour illustrated but as you can see the inferior casting plastic figs are unpainted.

Sorry not great photos - I struggled uploading them tbh. I hope you get the idea! Wicketz
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks for sharing mate.

It would be interesting to know whther the people from 'Wicketz' used to be employed at SSG.
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 6:32 pm

spudski wrote:
Thanks for sharing mate.

It would be interesting to know whther the people from 'Wicketz' used to be employed at SSG.

Just been reading ' Fifty Years of Flicking Football' and the section on cricket says that all the Subbuteo parts were used in two separate games ' Knock Out Cricket' and 'Wicketz". Both games using playing cards.

I assume Subbuteo just supplied the parts.
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:05 pm

You'll enjoy this read then Gully;)

When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... 001-25

When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... 002-24
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:26 pm

ian

i cant read anymore of these great posts , waiting till my magazines arrive from subbuteoworld Laughing
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:42 pm

They are ok mate...mostly adverts for stuff Subbuteoworld were selling at the time. I believe there were 8 in total. Still some little gems in there. There is a good one about the Italian Rugby production and some interviews with Parodi.
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Did you get all 8 Spurs? They only have 6 available now! Was thinking of getting them myself but would want them all tbh Smile
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks for posting that up Spud. I was after the book for some time and managed to get a copy on eBay but had to pay £27. Was a little disappointed when it arrived as it was a paper back and only had 78 pages, but the content is very good,although you do get the impression that the last few pages are filling it out, as confirmed in your article.

Interesting to read about the background to it and how difficult it is to get a book published. It did inspire me to get a cricket set, which is something, as I have no interest in the game. The cricket is a really great game and was surprised that you can actually play it solo.

Back to top Go down
hampshire hog

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 pm

As a collector of vintage board games as well as subbuteo I have editions of both Wicketz and knockout cricket by Capri. I'm unable to upload pictures at the moment as they are stored with hundreds/thousands of other games. If anyone is really interested I'll try to find them.
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 9:59 pm

newgolddream wrote:
Did you get all 8 Spurs? They only have 6 available now! Was thinking of getting them myself but would want them all tbh Smile

i have ordered issues 1,3,5,7,8 was not bothered about the dream team stadium one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...   When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship... Empty

Back to top Go down

When Subbuteo Cricket became jumped ship...
Page 1 of 1