South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Ebay record for a team?

Go down 
+6
spurs1975
Skell
Heavyweight021
akumulator
Takis
spudski
10 posters
AuthorMessage
spudski

spudski

New Ebay record for a team? Empty
PostSubject: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 6:19 am

Back to top Go down
Takis

Takis

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 7:38 am

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I don't, of course, know who the winner is, but the second highest bidder was the same as in the auction for the HW124 that was sold about a week ago, for a then record of £612. In both cases, his highest bid was £600. Exclamation Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
akumulator

akumulator

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 8:22 am

if you look at the 2nd picture - there is one figure with some nasty stripes on his back - not saying its not legit, just looks a mess compare to the rest
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 8:52 am

Not I .... Sad

I tried, and dropped a bid of £456 at it, though I must say I was quite relieved not to win at anywhere near that money.

£600+ for a team. Can this really be a sensible investment?
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Probably just a keen collector rather than an 'Investor' Ian.

If they have the disposible income, good luck to them. Some people think nothing of spending that amount of money on booze and fags in a month. All never to be recouped. Just for the fun of it.

It was nice to see a genuine rare team with original ref number on ebay for a change.

The team had all the hallmarks of a late HW team, including the shoddy nasty applied stripes on one figure. I'll fitting bases, mixed printed discs etc.

Good detective work Taki Very Happy
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Just goes to show how HW collecting has become such a farce, especially when relying on purchasing teams based on photographs on ebay.

To me and a few other well known collectors, this team looks exactly like a Subbuteo team should. Yet other eminant collectors on another forum decided this team was too neat to be an original Shocked That really suprised me tbh.

If well known collectors can't agree, who have years of experience between them, then who can we trust? This whole collecting game has now become so grey it's unbelievable.

If someone was looking for a group of 'experts' to verify the authenticity of a team or collection, lets say for Insurance purposes, then i feel they would struggle nowadays. No one can agree.

This whole 'faking' mullarky has really put a cat amongst the pigeons.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 8:58 pm

The seller assured me (for what that's worth) that the Lynn Oslo had come from the same private collection from which I purchased a HW26 a few weeks ago.

The HW26 is bolt-on genuine, no question.

To my eyes (and, admittedly, not enough photos were provided in this auction, including good quality close-ups) the Lynn Oslo looked genuine.

Certainly the hoops on the socks were very neat and the line of the shorts most regular ... but then I've HW252s and 265s with equally neat hoops on the socks.

Also, the density of the paint seemed correct.

But ....... would need to see this one in the hand to sharpen the verdict on it. And yes, a panel of Subby 'experts' would not be in perfect agreement on items such as this one.
Back to top Go down
Skell

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:28 pm

I think it is time to come clean boys....twas me!!

I have read comments all morning on here and the other forum,and tbh I have gone from being sure it was ok

to now being not so sure! So I will have to wait and see it 'in the hand' as Spud would say.

It is an obscene amount to pay,didn't think it would go that high,but I viewed it as a one off opportunity

to obtain this team.Only time will tell if this is a great swoop or a very expensive balls up!
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 12:06 am

Skell wrote:
I think it is time to come clean boys....twas me!!

I have read comments all morning on here and the other forum,and tbh I have gone from being sure it was ok

to now being not so sure! So I will have to wait and see it 'in the hand' as Spud would say.

It is an obscene amount to pay,didn't think it would go that high,but I viewed it as a one off opportunity

to obtain this team.Only time will tell if this is a great swoop or a very expensive balls up!

Congratulations, Mark!

I think in years to come you'll be admiring it still and - with no other genuine ones appearing on ebay over that period - satisfied that you made a "great swoop"!

My hope is that another genuine one does appear very soon (although the £600 2nd bidder will still be around bom).

I consoled myself on not lifting my bid into the starry regions by saying, "Well, the only reason why I was prepared to exceed my record on any team was because, as a Leeds fan, Lyn Oslo represents a slice of our history. We registered our record win against them in September 1969 - 10-0. But ... that was 1969, their kit will be nothing like that in the later 70s teams ........ ."

Just found this:

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19690917.htm

Looks very similar Sad Sad Sad

Again, well done, Sir!! king
Back to top Go down
Skell

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 12:16 am

Cheers Ian appreciated mate,don't know who our £600 second bidder is but he/she means business.

Nice history lesson on your beloved Leeds....a good read!
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 12:30 am

New Ebay record for a team? SOFK%252520Lyn%252520Oslo-DWS%252520641118%25252004%2525281%252529Here's another one against Inter Milan. Cool

Skelly for what it's worth, I think you have a beautiful team. Glad it's gone to a genuine collector like you...I know it will be cherished...well done mate.

Hopefully Ian will be able to find one too. I've got one but without the ref sticker Crying or Very sad

As for the painting...it makes sense it's slightly neater. There wasn't going to be an outworker churning hundreds of these out. Hardly any stores kept every reference. Which is why so many of the 200 range are quiet rare. It was only around for 2/3 years after all...and what kid wanted Lynn Oslo?

Congratulations bud and be sure to post up some better pics please.
Back to top Go down
Skell

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks Ian,your opinions,like Ian Brown's,are very much valued by myself.

Conversely,it was the awful bit of paintwork on the back of one of the players that convinced me of its

authenticity,if that makes sense!.Mrs S filed for divorce this morning,so providing she dosn't want half

of my computer,I will do some piccies when it arrives....then again she will want half of the camera

half of Lyn oslo etc etc;)
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 1:07 am

Some have been making comments about the bases on the Green Forum.

A quick check of your excellent HW230 shows a favourable comparison.

http://oldsubbuteo.heavenforum.org/t256-hw-ref-230

The bases are similar - even the goalkeeper is the same!

Your new purchase will complement this one rather nicely.
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 1:36 am

Exactly Ian...anyone worth their salt will know late production teams often had bases that were poorly fitting.

The bases manufactured at that time, are slightly more conform, slightly lighter and in some cases wider diameter. Try fitting a LW or Zombie disc into a conventional HW base and you'll see the reason why Wink

Often disc lettering was mixed as well. Also you'll notice the actual figure itself is of late production. It has that luminescent white plastic that is late production compared to an early production figure that is more opaque.

All good signs Skelly...Good luck with the divorce bud Laughing
Back to top Go down
akumulator

akumulator

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 2:05 am

Skelly - you are indeed a mad man Razz

let us know when the clothes are in the drive in a binbag & I am sure one of us will be round to pick you up and offer board and lodging - and all for the bargain rate of a ref229 a week
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 2:49 am

akumulator wrote:
Skelly - you are indeed a mad man Razz

let us know when the clothes are in the drive in a binbag & I am sure one of us will be round to pick you up and offer board and lodging - and all for the bargain rate of a ref229 a week

Laughing

good stuff mark on picking up this excellent team . you have set a new bench mark in subby team prices as well Laughing
Back to top Go down
Skell

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 12:51 am

Well,here it is........

New Ebay record for a team? P1010691

New Ebay record for a team? P1010693

New Ebay record for a team? P1010695
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 1:36 am

I assume you're now relieved and perfectly relaxed....... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 1:54 am

I don't know what all the fuss was about. That was a nailed on Original team from the start...how anybody couldn't see that beats me. Some of the comments on the Green forum were baffling, especially from some eminent collectors. Why people thought the ref sticker was dodgy also baffles me. Perhaps people have become overly cautious and looking for stuff that isn't there? Neutral scratch

Anyway...mate, really chuffed for you. Looks a great addition to your collection. Well done bud, you can sleep well now. Cool
Back to top Go down
odoiporos

odoiporos

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Now thats a great team! Late plastic, disks mixed, nicely painted socks, near mint, with original ref Very Happy

Who could ask for more ?:Smile

Congrats Very Happy
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 10:36 am

It's a beautiful team Skell cheers

It's a shame my brother doesn't live in Norway anymore. I could have got him searching in carboots on my behalf. Subsequently I am now wanting one on Santiago rabbit
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 11:07 am

odoiporos wrote:
Now thats a great team! Late plastic, disks mixed, nicely painted socks, near mint, with original ref Very Happy

Skell would wish a computer crash on the boyo who threw a £600 bid at the team in the dying seconds, forcing him to rise to £620 Basketball
Back to top Go down
Skell

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Heavyweight021 wrote:
odoiporos wrote:

Skell would wish a computer crash on the boyo who threw a £600 bid at the team in the dying seconds, forcing him to rise to £620 Basketball

That's a great shout Ian....I wonder who it was?.It probably won't be too long before he/she will succeed with such a bid!
Back to top Go down
Vikash

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:11 am

Mark, congrats, mate;)

The important thing is you are happy with the team. In a few years time it wont matter much what you spent on this team as it would always be a special team to you. It really is about how much you want it:)
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:27 am

congrats to you mark on winning it.

this issue of it "being too clean" is just ridiculous.

we all know that you can get badly painted teams and well painted teams and i am sure we all have a mix of the two and degrees of in betwen each extreme.

as you say ian it is getting very difficult if collectors pick holes in a team not because of paint colours,not because of hair and boots colours,not becaue of glue type and so on but because it looks too clean.

be interested to see some more photos once the team arrives mark.

the green plymouth i won recently on ebay is also very good condition but i cannot find any faults with it having looked at each player carefully.

here it is .too clean anyone?

New Ebay record for a team? 54_gre10
Back to top Go down
http://www.subbuteowanted.co.uk
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 5:42 am

It's a super team, Jon.

100%.

In fact, I pushed you all the way for this one. I do have one in my collection (possibly two!), but this one would trump them because of its condition.

Congratulations! A real 'keeper'!! Wink
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 5:50 am

thanks ian.

where do you stand on this thing about "its too clean to be genuine.." attitude of some?
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 5:51 am

oops just realised you have already posted photos mark.lovely team Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:02 pm

Hello Jon,

I think I made my opinion known on the Green Forum when the HW229 reached auction on ebay.

http://www.subbuteoforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16492

Some were profoundly unimpressed, claiming it was too good.

But ... if a team hasn't been played with too much it's going to be good. Makes perfect sense.

Even back in the 70s, there were collectors who bought and shelved the teams, but (a) didn't play with them, or (b) played only with their favourites and left the others to sit proudly in pristine condition.

We sometimes reap the benefits of their careful attention now.

Personally, I'm always happy to upgrade the general condition of my collection by bidding on one that looks like an improvement on the one I have.

Obsessive, I know. But it floats my boat...... Wink
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:05 pm

i saw jon`s plymouth team in the flesh last week and it is excellent
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Well I am in the same obsessive mode as you ian so I know where you are coming from.
And I agree - there were so many teams produced law of averages says some of them would not hve been played with much
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Ebay record for a team?   New Ebay record for a team? Empty

Back to top Go down

New Ebay record for a team?
Page 1 of 1