South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

brown under black

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: brown under black   brown under black EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Just bought some teams from spud including a ref 230 where seven of the players clearly have brown hair boots underneath overpainted ssg black.not seen that before but apparently ssg would have turned say a ref 42 into another ref where main colours were the same but hair and boot colour requirements were black not brown.
Anyone seen/got teams like this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.subbuteowanted.co.uk
spudski

spudski

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:22 am

Jon...I reckon all 10 players would have been overpainted. You probably can't see the brown on the others.

Funnily enough, i saw another 2 teams ( different ref's ) done the same way in Milan on the weekend. We were all scratching our heads at them. Both were overpainted ref 42's. All late versions. I reckon they were trying to update brown boots to black as often as possible to sell more.

The biggest thing to look for is whether the paint is genuine SSG or not.

I wish i'd taken a few pics now...
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:37 am

interesting stuff mate.

hope the trip went well.

its getting even busier on here now! cheers
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:51 am

It went very well Jon. Managed to finish 4th. 3 wins,1 draw and 1 loss in the last 10 secs too...Grrr.

Re the black over brown...it would be interesting to know whether anyone else has any in their collection. Or have we all dismissed them as repaints in the past?

It seems to happen more on ref 42's...which seems obvious as it's a popular team that is easily converted. The late versions of this team also seem to be painted on white plastic instead of flesh and with black boots, instead of brown.
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:00 am

i am in the early stages of a process of going through all my teams looking at them with a magnifying glass looking for neat reglues i hadnt spotted and also other blemishes,etc.
i will certainly be looking out for black over brown from now on.
cant say i had ever noticed it before but maybe i hadnt looked close enough
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:10 am

I've only seen it in later Teams Jon.

I'm wondering whether SSG made a concerted effort at one point to paint as many teams as possible with black boots to become more up to date. It's certainly noticiable with HP Zombies and LW's.

Converting common ref's like the 42 into the more unusual refs so as to use up stock would also make sense.

I was talking to someone who collects Delacoste and apparantly this was also a common practice with their teams.

You just have to make sure the paint is original and not new...that's the clynical point.
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:13 am

ah yes thats easy for you to spot - but not so much for me as a non painter.
how can you tell?must be hard
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:15 pm

That's true Jon... As someone who paints teams, it sort of jumps out at you.

In saying that, it gets more difficult on later teams as the paint SSG used changed, to something more like we use today. According to a model painter I know, the matting agent went from powdered form to a chemical form, making the paint slightly 'smoother'...hard to describe tbh. Then you have to start looking at the brush strokes etc.
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 8:02 am

you are gonna have to show me with some examples when we meet up mate.
also wanna get to serious grips on the gluing issues.

just wait until i tell the missus all about the change of blakc paint on subby figures - she is gonna love me! Smile
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 8:24 am

Again Jon...it's using modern glues, that makes them easy to spot, compared to stuff from SSG days.

Most modern glues are thinner and dry differently. I'll show you when i see you next bud.

You speak to your missus about Subby? Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 am

aye.
lets meet up down your way v.soon as we tried to recently.
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 5:26 pm

OK mate...that would be good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

brown under black Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown under black   brown under black Empty

Back to top Go down

brown under black
Page 1 of 1