South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roy of the Rovers

Go down 
+7
monocular
Gullseye
Heavyweight021
ESSGEE
subbuteo forever 207
spudski
PunkReaper
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Just setting up a Roy of the Rovers solo league and I am looking for team names. Apparently full leagues were not printed. These are some of the names I've collected. Feel free to add more... along with any kits you know... Thanks in advance.

Blackport
Burndean
Bradport
Railton
Melborough
North Vale
Tynecaster
Redstoke
Portdean
Kelburn
Stansford
Danefield
Swinford
Eaststoke
Gatesfield
Redpool
Carford City
Castlemere
Deans Park
Holverton
Stambridge City
Kingsbay
Oldfield
Walford Rovers
Weston Villa
Yelcomb
East Gate
Rotherton
Melchester Rovers
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:21 pm

Ian Brown maybe able to help you. I know he's a keen Mel Rvrs fan.
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks, hopefully he'll see the thread
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 8:05 am

i am sure he will - he posts on most of em! Wink
eh ian? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.subbuteowanted.co.uk
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 8:55 am

If you're including teams from some of the other stories, I recall an Axford United in one of them.
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 8:56 am

Mancaster United
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm working through the 1978-1980 comics at the moment ...

... 3 other names of 'top flight' teams surface:

Barmouth

Darlton

Sandford.

Last edited by Heavyweight021 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 8:39 pm

subbuteo forever 207 wrote:
i am sure he will - he posts on most of em! Wink
eh ian? Smile

'Tis correct, Jon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Chief difficulty is (as noted above) full leagues were not provided, and the comics feature only a small number of league games per season.

• For example, in 1978-79, Melchester Rovers played against 6 teams in the League:

Darlton
Portdean
Tynecaster
Burndean
Carford City
Walford

• They were knocked out of the League Cup by Norboro.

• Their greatest exploits were in the UEFA Cup, where they won the competition by beating:

Dynamo Zarcov
Varagosa
Sorbonne
Rassburg.

• The next season, 1979-80, sees Melchester Rovers play 3 teams in the FA Cup:

Kelburn
Melboro,
before being beaten by 4th Division side, Chalkford Town.

• They were eliminated from the UEFA Cup at the first time of asking, by Heklavik.

• League games were against the following opponents:

Carford City
Eastgate
Kingsbay
Oldfield
Darlton
Walford
Sandford

(Portdean were also still in the 'top flight' during this season).

Last edited by Heavyweight021 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 1:12 am

Thanks that should be enough to get me going, thinking of having 4 divisions of 8 teams each. Should be manageable enough to complete seasons fairly quickly.

Love some of the names they came up with. I can imagine them in the office on a monday. "Who are we playing in the League Cup this week? You combing your hair again Bob?" "How about Yellcomb?" "Done"

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 1:32 am

You will of course need to have all the correct kits for each team Wink
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 2:19 am

Sad but actually true.... Going to a good second hand book shop tomorrow to start the Roy of the Rovers collection.....
Back to top Go down
monocular

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:00 am

Ah, a Roy of the Rovers thread - I knew I'd come on board this forum, and I couldn't pass a Rovers thread by...

I'd slightly adjust a couple of your team names:

Blackport to Blackport Rovers (Nipper Lawrence's team in Nipper, I think in Tiger comic rather than RotR)
Danefield to Danefield United (Johnny Dexter's team in The Hard Man)

And you should definitely consider adding Redstone Rovers, who were Mike Dailey's Subbuteo team in Mike's Mini Men.

Other fine teams:

Tynefield City (featuring keeper Gordon Stewart in The Safest Hands in Soccer)

Brentville Albion (team featured in You are the Star)

Selby Villa (featured in Millionaire Villa)

Princes Park (Scottish, one of Hot Shot Hamish' teams)

There's useful information at http://www.royoftherovers.com, including a great colour graphic of Hot Shot Hamish in what I think was his Princes Park kit. I have spare copies of the recent Titan reprints RotR: The 1980s and RotR: World Cup Special. PM me if interested.

Graeme
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks again, corrections made and additions added. Going to good book shop tomorrow so I'll see what I can get. Subbuteo and Roy of the Rovers "What a great combination" .... Did someone in the crowd just shout that out Question
Back to top Go down
Puffin

Puffin

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Great idea! I had a similar thought a couple of months back but have only got round to painting up a Melchester team.

Here's a thought, if you are doing 4 divisions, why not have each division as a different player type? For example Dvi 1 could be HW, Div 2 Moulded, Div 3 LW and Div 4 Z's? That way if you play promotion / relegation after the first season you'll have an interesting mix of base combo's playing against each other....might make it a bit more realistic?
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 7:42 pm

I like that idea. Will gradually phase it in when I buy new teams......
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 7:58 pm

If you are doing a solo league with so many teams, that have not been reproduced by Subbuteo...then why not buy Blank figures and bases from Topspin or Santiago? You can get HW replicas, as well as modern figures and LW replicas.

You can then paint them yourself...you can't be any worse than the original kent Housewifes who painted the original Subbuteo teams.

You'll save a lot of money, have teams in the correct colours, and still have money left over to collect original Subbuteo.

Just an idea... Wink
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 8:09 pm

I see a competition between me and a kent housewife coming.... Bring them on
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Blimey Monocular Shocked That is impressive, i know who to go to now for any ROTR questions. Ever thought of going on Mastermind ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Skell

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:05 am

I used to love a team called Abbottown Albion.....I think that is right,as they played in a kit not disimilar to my
beloved West Bromwich Albion.
On reflection that might of been in Score and Roar...I must stay off the beer!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:09 am

Score and Roar... Shocked Don't remember that mate.

Sounds like some Perverse Dating magazine... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Skell

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:12 am

spudski wrote:
Score and Roar... Shocked Don't remember that mate.

Sounds like some Perverse Dating magazine... Laughing

Oh yeh thats right Embarassed Embarassed .....
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:23 am

Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:26 am

Looks like a good mag lads...Don't know how i missed that.
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:30 am

Apparantly it only lasted a year...then became Scorcher.

I used to get Tiger and Scorcher delivered. Cool Loved Billy's Boots.

http://www.britishcomics.com/Score/index.htm
Back to top Go down
Skell

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 4:57 am

Yes I know I am wandering of the initial Roy of the Rovers thread,but I have just clambered up the loft to retrieve
these bad boys...nearly breaking my neck in the process I hasten to add.....try harder I hear you all cry!!!!
The aforementioned perverse adult entertainment annual is on the top Ian...ooooeeer Mrs Wink ....

Roy of the Rovers P1010335

CASTLEBURN CITY
Roy of the Rovers P1010336

CASTLEBURN UNITED
Roy of the Rovers P1010337
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:56 am

Nice one Mark...reading the names of those players is hilarious... Dick Sharp, Sandy Beech...then the Irish and Welsh lads...and Sergeant Bucket... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Sergeant Bucket... love it ! Was the physio called Private Sponge.

Just had a look at that RotR site. Another two teams for you, Elbury Wanderers and Cobdale United

Last post, away for a week. Smile
Back to top Go down
Puffin

Puffin

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:58 pm

nice selection there Skelly! The only RoTR annual I own is from 79.

On another note, there's a nice documentary on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9lPN98B5uI only about 15 mins long but worth a watch
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 5:42 am

Have to say, I am lovin' the SOLO PLAY themes being talked about, especially this one!

Look forward to seeing it all unfold.
Back to top Go down
monocular

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 4:07 am

My knowledge of RotR is largely due to many of the teams from the comic being in the solo league that I've run since about 1977. I've just finished Season 18, and am now preparing everything for Season 19. These are the RotR/Tiger teams and their position going into the new season:

Division 1:
- Brentville Albion
- Everpool
- Princes Park

Division 2:
- Barnes United
- Melchester Rovers (promoted from Div 3)
- North Vale (relegated from Div 1)
- Portdean (promoted from Div 3)

Division 3:
- Blackport Rovers (relegated from Div 2)
- Burndean
- Carford City (relegated from Div 2)
- Redstone Rovers (promoted from Div 4)

Division 4:
- Selby Villa
- Tynefield City

I also have a Melchester City in Division 3. They joined the league when I got a 1960 RotR annual at a jumble sale. It has a team shot inside, with all the player's names, so they became the second Melchester team.

Speaking of player's names... Skell, you've unwittingly done a bit of detective work for me! 3 of the Castleburn player names are ones used in my league, but like many of the ones I first used all those years ago I'd forgotten where I got them from:

Paddy Murphy:
- In my league played for Everpool for many seasons before transferring to 4th Division strugglers Alderbury City under new manager Graeme Tittle. Their fortunes have since turned round and they won the division last season, their first ever achievement.

Taffy Evans:
- Former coach at Portdean, now retired. Never survived the appointment of flamboyant Italian manager Mario Donetti.

Graham Mortlake:
- Defender at 3rd Division Wattlington, recently drafted into the England squad though yet to make the 1st team.
Back to top Go down
monocular

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 4:45 am

Here's my collection of annuals. Lots of RotR and Tiger, also some Scorchers. Best of the Victor looks like it's going to fall over again... always happens in the middle of the night, and wakes me up with a thud!

Roy of the Rovers Toprow10

Roy of the Rovers Bottom10
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 6:04 am

Impressed cheers
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 6:43 am

Good stuff gents....all my boys are on holiday until the big kick-off August 6th...

Melchester City and Melchester Rovers midtable in Premier Divison last season

Blackport finished about 8th in Division 2 Redstoke just above the relegation zone in Division 2

Eastoke Promoted from Division 3
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:25 am

Why not post some of your league tables here or in the solo league thread since there certainly seems to be a lot of interest.

Ok now that you have all given me a good number of teams to populate my leagues I want to move onto stage two....... Kits

Anyone got an idea about what coloured kits the teams play in? I would like to not only play the league but see how many teams I can field in their correct colours. I will now retire to do some research.

Thanks again for all your help so far
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:37 am

Last edited by PunkReaper on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:50 am

Back to top Go down
monocular

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:31 am

Biog of Johnny Dexter with Danefield United kit
Back to top Go down
monocular

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:34 am

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Highboro United
Alvechurch

Was just thumbing through one yesterday
Back to top Go down
http://oldsubbuteo.heavenforum.com
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Maybe I did get Score and Roar because I definitely remember using the league tables and updating them every saturday night.
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:08 am

PunkReaper wrote:
Why not post some of your league tables here or in the solo league thread since there certainly seems to be a lot of interest.

Ok now that you have all given me a good number of teams to populate my leagues I want to move onto stage two....... Kits

Anyone got an idea about what coloured kits the teams play in? I would like to not only play the league but see how many teams I can field in their correct colours. I will now retire to do some research.

Thanks again for all your help so far

I've got 56 years of English League Tables and 35 years of my Scottish League .. my Scottish League records are saved as Microsoft Works files but they don't seem to copy well without the pagination etc changing ?
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 am

Ok I've got the team names, with the teams either bought or being painted. Next question whether to have 4 leagues of 8 teams or 2 leagues of 16 teams. Discuss.
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 6:28 pm

PunkReaper wrote:
Ok I've got the team names, with the teams either bought or being painted. Next question whether to have 4 leagues of 8 teams or 2 leagues of 16 teams. Discuss.

If you intend running it for several seasons it may be more interesting to have 4 divisions so you experience a lot of promotions and relegations. With two divisions you will get teams competing against a lot of different sides, although if you also run a Cup competition you have this anyway.
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 8:59 pm

PunkReaper wrote:

What season(s) are you using team names from?
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 12:32 am

Wow not as organised as that..... Just taken the names from as many Roy of the Rovers stories as I can.. They are all mixed. Are you going to shame into doing more research?
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:15 am

PunkReaper wrote:
Wow not as organised as that..... Just taken the names from as many Roy of the Rovers stories as I can.. They are all mixed. Are you going to shame into doing more research?

No, I'm just heaping research on my own head.

I'm trying to keep with the teams that Melchester faced in the 70s (roughly corresponding to the HW era in Subbuteo). But its a nightmare trying to work out who was promoted / relegated from Divisions 1 and 2 (Melchester style) over that - or any other - time period.

Tbh, I don't think they followed a regular structure at all. By the look of some seasons, it must have been something like 5 up, 5 down! Shocked Some seasons covered by the comic feature only a few league matches as all the story space has been gobbled up by Melchester's involvement in one of the Cup competitions.

Some cool kits from the early 70s, though. Stand out as a bit of a contrast to the usual drab fare from that era in terms of football kits!
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:45 am

Someone should do a Peter Upton style website with a Roy of the Rovers database. The Roy of the Rovers site doesn't have a database and it would be interesting to know all the teams mentioned etc...
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 9:14 am

PunkReaper wrote:
Someone should do a Peter Upton style website with a Roy of the Rovers database. The Roy of the Rovers site doesn't have a database and it would be interesting to know all the teams mentioned etc...

I'm working on something like this ... going through all of the RotR comics I have, and adding to the collection whenever I can to plug the gaps.

However, there will always be gaps in the info, even when every comic has been secured. This is simply because of the way in which the stories were written. The authors of RotR did not set out to provide chronological information, or complete season-by-season information.
Back to top Go down
PunkReaper

PunkReaper

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 9:42 am

Since I have only recently started collecting I probably won't be much help but unless you wish to keep your information to yourself I would love tonsee what you have. I have just started going through my albums and Titan books doing the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roy of the Rovers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roy of the Rovers   Roy of the Rovers Empty

Back to top Go down

Roy of the Rovers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next