South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Recent find - Display Edition

Go down 
+8
Heavyweight021
spudski
Wrightenberg
akumulator
Puffin
Gullseye
duncthehat
Takis
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Takis

Takis

Recent find - Display Edition Empty
PostSubject: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 3:31 am

I started this thread in the Green Forum but due to the unfortunate recent events that led to the departure of some very respected members, I am posting this here as well.

I recently purchased a Display Edition on eBay. Its provenance is very interesting and having received it, I don't doubt the story behind it. Smile

Here is part of the eBay listing description. study

This Subbuteo Continental Display edition was purchased in London during Easter break of 1972. A group of Boy Scouts from the Philadelphia area were visiting England to see the “home” of scouting. We also saw Fulham play Milwall at Craven Cottage, and did a bit of shopping. Lillywhites and Harrods were favorite stops. Nearly everyone came back to the states with a Subbuteo game and accessories in tow.

We did form a Subbuteo league after we got home, but we were all on the cusp of being teenagers. After that initial bump of enthusiasm, the games were stored away for good. We moved onto music and girls. Plus, we only had a long distance connection with English football at that point. In other words, the game didn’t get that much use.

This particular game was purchased by a friend (I came home with a Rugby game). He passed it on to me a few years ago when his son and my son were on the same travel soccer team here in the U.S that I coached.

The game is fully complete, and comes with a felt pitch, and a referee/linesman set (they still have their bag). One of linesman is falling out of his base, but he isn’t broken. Also, the players are perfect. Why this set came with QPR and team 14, I don’t know. As you can see, the team names are written in the box. QPR was mistakenly identified as Huddersfield - who have blue stripes, not hoops. An honest kid mistake.

Here are some photos.

Outside of the box

Recent find - Display Edition Outside

Box contents

Recent find - Display Edition Contents

Team #1 - HW 14

Recent find - Display Edition HW_014

Team #2 - HW 11

Recent find - Display Edition HW_011

Literature included in the box

Recent find - Display Edition Literature

Referees - set C107

Recent find - Display Edition Referees

Pitch - set M

Recent find - Display Edition Set_M

Outside of fixture list with details of the owner

Recent find - Display Edition Fixture_list

I hope you enjoy these. Cool

Last edited by Takis on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
duncthehat

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 3:34 am

Always nice to see different teams in the display editions. always forget to check them out on ebay.

Nice story with it as well.
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 3:50 am

Very nice clean set and more interesting with different teams. The pitch and referee set are nice in their original packaging and price stickers
Back to top Go down
Puffin

Puffin

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 4:38 am

lovely mate Very Happy

many thanks for sharing Cool
Back to top Go down
akumulator

akumulator

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 4:42 am

lovely story Takis - thanks for posting
Back to top Go down
Wrightenberg

Wrightenberg

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 5:12 am

Very nice.

I picked up a Display Edition of Ebay a few years back with a knackered no. 38 and 11 in the box. I was never sure whether they were part of the original set or just replacement teams.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wrightenberg.co.uk/
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 5:26 am

Nice one Taki... I would say the pitch in bag with stickers is the best of the items. Nice bit of provenence with it too. Thanks for sharing that bit of social history8)
Back to top Go down
Heavyweight021

Heavyweight021

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 6:07 am

Superb 'catch' .... congratulations!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 7:31 am

great find takis Cool
Back to top Go down
Takis

Takis

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 7:24 pm

Many thanks for the comments, guys. Much appreciate and i am glad you enjoyed this post. Very Happy

spudski wrote:
Nice one Taki... I would say the pitch in bag with stickers is the best of the items.

I agree with you, Ian. It's not often you can find this set with the reference label. Cool

Did you also see the price for the pitch? £1.45 in 1972. I wonder how much this is in today's money. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
subbuteoman

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Good find and great story.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
http://oldsubbuteo.heavenforum.com
Gullseye

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Takis wrote:
Many thanks for the comments, guys. Much appreciate and i am glad you enjoyed this post. Very Happy

spudski wrote:
Nice one Taki... I would say the pitch in bag with stickers is the best of the items.

I agree with you, Ian. It's not often you can find this set with the reference label. Cool

Did you also see the price for the pitch? £1.45 in 1972. I wonder how much this is in today's money. Rolling Eyes

That was a fair bit of money in 1972. I used to work in a cafe in the school holidays and remember I got 25p an hour !! So I would have had to do a whole day's work to buy one.
Back to top Go down
duncthehat

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:37 am

Ended up buying a display edition myself today. Had an ohw old gold 49 in it which looks in good order.

Wasnt a bargain mind!
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:42 am

duncthehat wrote:
Ended up buying a display edition myself today. Had an ohw old gold 49 in it which looks in good order.

Wasnt a bargain mind!

i saw this on ebay ,i wondered who was going to grab this nice find dunc
Back to top Go down
duncthehat

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 5:06 am

spurs1975 wrote:
duncthehat wrote:

Wasnt a bargain mind!

To be honest never bought an old gold before. Hadnt a clue if i have paid too much or not. All i had to go on were some poor
condition teams going for just over 30 notes.

Not collecting OHWs anymore but couldnt help myself!!
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:32 am

duncthehat wrote:
spurs1975 wrote:
duncthehat wrote:

Wasnt a bargain mind!

To be honest never bought an old gold before. Hadnt a clue if i have paid too much or not. All i had to go on were some poor
condition teams going for just over 30 notes.

Not collecting OHWs anymore but couldnt help myself!!

i think you have done all right to be honest with what you paid mate
Back to top Go down
subbuteo forever 207

subbuteo forever 207

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:23 am

nice one takis,

yes as documented i have had luck recently with club editions picking up a 178,52,45 and mostly recently a 53.

its worth keeping an eye on ebay for those basic boxets

and remember marks smiths white palace find too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.subbuteowanted.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recent find - Display Edition   Recent find - Display Edition Empty

Back to top Go down

Recent find - Display Edition
Page 1 of 1