South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE

Go down 
+2
spudski
George Best jr.
6 posters
AuthorMessage
George Best jr.

THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE Empty
PostSubject: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 10:25 pm

After the geek GREAT days of Ely and the CONCACAF tournament I´m asking myself what are the best old Subbuteo tournaments (not just in England) - I´ve only heard good things about Regio Emilia in November in Italy, some people say: the best tournament in the world. Then I´ve heard good things about the Old Subbuteo tournament in Cornwall but could not find any infos about it ...
So whats your impressions and experiences ... Does every Old Subbuteo tournament have its own theme as in Ely?
For me not just the tournament is important - also the atmosphere roundabout, the organization, the meetings before the tournament, the venue ... In contrast to themself called Pro-tournaments or FISTF-events. But thats another topic.
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Achim...if you are looking to play 'Oldsubbuteo', then as far as i'm aware Tournaments are only played in Italy and a few in England.

Every Oldsubbuteo Tournament has it's own theme. Chosen by the OSC that is running the event.

You are best advised to read all the threads showing the past Tournaments on here... http://oldsubbuteo.forumfree.it/?f=1908396

It is an archive of all the past Tournaments, showing everything you need to know. Atmosphere, organisation, Venue, Food and drink, friends and players etc, etc.

The English Tournaments are all based on the Italian format. They have been doing it longer than us, and have worked out a formula that works. So it was easy for us to copy.

You can also look on Youtube for Oldsubbuteo Tournaments, to give you an idea of the 'flavour'... Here is an example... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfs3olTrIg Lots of fun!!! Me, Fingers and Jim travelled to this one. It was the start of a great adventure...which is still continueing.

Hope that helps mate.
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 11:35 pm

the best thing I can say about the oldsubbuteo movement is that I have been treated like a long lost friend from day one and then of course fairly quickly you do indeed make many new friends..I think a trip to Italy will be in order later this year
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks very much for quick answering and your infos, Ian!
Unfortunately I cannot open the Youtube/film link cos this site is not to open in Germany (no GEMA rights in Germany, aha).
The Italian link is fine - but I don´t speak Italian but I will give my best to find a few infos.
Do you have any infos about the tournament in Cornwall. In Ely young player Adam told me a bit of this tournament ...
I´ve read the news about the Santiago World Cup 1978 in Chingford in Sep 2011 - is Chingford near London??
Are there tournaments holding/running for two days (Saturday and Sunday)?

Five minutes ago (at the moment Iam sitting in my castle or better in Düsseldorf in Elkes castle and would like to play a Subbuteo match, but no other player and not inspired to play a solo, so Iam playing with the forum´s of Subbuteo) I´ve noticed your working plans as ski instructor ... seems to be very unusual for an Englishman cos of no high mountains and snow in England?
Have a relax Saturday evening - we have here.
Thanks also for your answer, Ralph! YES, me too made the experience in Ely that a lot of people seems to be on the same wavelength - in Germany the players are just focussed on what they call Prof-Subbuteo ... you know what I mean. No pep, no phantasy, no fun ...
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 11:47 pm

Cornwall Tournament...too far to travel for me and the football season starts that day...I could fly almost anywhere in Europe faster than I can drive to Cornwall ..here is a link Achim I think it may be full for this season

http://www.subbuteoplayersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9985
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 11:54 pm

Thanks Mr. Claret, top info - Cornwall is a very nice region and I like England so maybe one day I will do my summer holidays in Cornwall and play a bit Subbuteo!
Cheers Achim
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 12:06 am

Achim...if you wish to read the Italian Oldsubbuteo forum in English, it is easy.

When you look at the screen you will see 'Menu Rapido' on the left. If you move your cursor to this you will see 'English Translation'. Click on that...then you can read everything in English. If you wish to respond to a thread, you have to do it by logging on in Italian. The English translation version doesn't allow you to reply unfortunately. But you will be able to read the link i posted for you.

As for Skiing...many English people Ski. I have skiied all my life. Canada, France, Italy, Scotland, Austria, Swizerland, Andorra...even in England in a big Fridge... Laughing It is my favourite Sport. I love it.

Have fun on the forum's today... I'm off down the Gym and then the pub. Catch you later Cool

PS... As Ralph said...you make many good friends. Can't believe i'm mates with a Burnley fan Laughing
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 12:22 am

Yep, Ian, I´ve underestimated British peope in skiing!
Will now start the big cake of the afternoon - hungry like a tiger in a wood!
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 8:23 pm

I like that tradition Achim... When i was in Austria and Germany, it seemed everyone stopped for Afternoon Cake. I used to have a big slice of Apple strudle with coffee. pig Laughing

We used to stop for afternoon Tea in this Country...but no longer.

When i visited Sri Lanka... they still practice this tradition. Everyone stops for afternoon tea. A tradition from our Colonial past. Cool
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 9:15 pm

You would have to stop if you worked with me...oh I like a cup of tea alright Wink
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 9:34 pm

I think it is still more a tradition in the North mate...everyone runs around with a Starbucks in their hand down here Laughing
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 9:36 pm

I've weaned myself off coffee at the minute I was drinking way too much...plus now I'm mainly out in the car all day I'm forever needing a P Laughing
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 9:59 pm

That'll be your age... Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 10:21 pm

I know Laughing also all my customers and branches love me so much they insist on a cuppa when I get there Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 10:46 pm

Well gentle men,
there are times of tea - and of coffee (dont forget the cake) - and when the sun is gone its the time for a good Scotch (I prefer MacCallan), especially in the wintertime.
Today afternoon I have to work a bit ... but Iam still looking forward to a strawberry cake and a fine cup of tea. Oh Sad I miss my butler Jamely, he´s in holidays, so me&Elli of the Glance have to prepare it alone.
PS. In Germany we have one classic (football) tradition - we cheers love the ART of Dutch playing football - and the Dutch Evil or Very Mad regard us with envy cos of our more succesfull WORK of playing football. So everybody in Germany is dreaming of a combination of both - thats our aim, and in the last years we´ve tried to realize it (and the Dutch, too). But after all - the best team should win. And its always good for the football if smaller countries (as Greece in 2004) or for a few years Spain mount the top of the toppermost!!
Have a lazy sunny afternoon!!
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 2:42 am

wash you mouth out Achim..the only decent afternoon drink comes from Ireland....scotch is for cleaning your teeth Laughing
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:01 am

There is one Irish scotch!, Ralph, I like very much - Connamara. But just for the wintertime after 9 pm.
But whats about Irish tea?? So good as Irish chocolade??
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:11 am

old Irish tradition one small Jameson for breakfast (takes the taste of my cigars away) two large Powers for evening meal...several pints of Porterhouse Red/Smithwicks/Black Sheep taken liberally any time between.... Laughing

I never drink scotch just WhiskEy Wink
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:30 am

THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE Balvenie_12yo_double_woodDon't listen to him Achim...No offence Ralph Wink Scotch Whisky is the nectar of the Gods. I've got this one on the go at the moment...lovely drunken
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:05 am

heathens Laughing got to keep the economy going since the Celtic Tiger lost its claws .. I drink Powers Gold Label for preference... not too often mind it gets in the way of my main pastime.....beer drinking..beer rather than Guinness I'm off Guinness altogether these days prefer English style ale so when in Dublin its Porterhouse Red
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:08 am

I've seriously never heard of Powers Gold Label...but you can't go wrong with Porterhouse...V nice. bounce drunken
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:46 pm

no you don't see Powers too often this side of the water
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:25 pm

What can I say - Whisky or Whiskey - both are pretty fine! So no necessary for me to decide or to make a religious question about it! I never tried Balvenie or Powers Gold but Iam young enough to look goldy ahead!
Whats about the idea to run an " Old Subbuteo Powers Gold" tournament, starting in the evening 10 p.m. and having an all night Subbuteo party/tournament, always powered by Powers Gold. Maybe we can ask Powers for sponsoring this special tournament?!
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Good idea mate... It would definately be interesting. Laughing
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 pm

But are you old and hard boiled enough, Ian, for this special Cup - "Powers Gold" is just open for tough guys with speedy fingers older than 45 looking like John Wayne or Humphrey Flogart. You seems to be tooo pale smart ... for qualifyieng - look at me: a sailor hardened by years on a ship called the "Ghost".
But maybe maybe you will work hard for getting a hard boiled face in the next months - and then you will show us a fantastic photo of your affraid metamorphosis!
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 10:55 pm

I'll keep drinking to get that 'craggy' look...arghhhhhhh me hearties... Being from Bristol we have a tradition of Pirates Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Thats the great attitude of a british pirat sportsman! To qualify for such a great event is the aim of the year!!
Does anybody else want to attend such a special tournament?!!
HELLOOO EVERYBODY!! lol! Give us a sign!!!
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 4:16 am

I have the best solution to this awkward Whisky/Whiskey problem...

Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup..when in doubt get on the Hennessy cheers
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 4:47 am

With a dipping Cigar Wink
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 7:16 am

oh aye .. Laughing
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:33 am

Seems that we three are the only ones who are interested in such an HISTORIC Subbuteo tournament, with fine Whisk(e)y&Cognac, best Cuban Cigars, a lot of attractive queen queen queen queen ... - indeed, a new side of Subbuteo history!
Back to top Go down
fingers

fingers

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:43 am

No, don't forget to count me in as well...

...you lot will needs someone to continue with the flicking players thing whilst you drink, smoke and keep the girlies on form...!
Just doing my bit to keep the dream alive...! Wink
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:24 am

The cognac would have to be an XO or better, I'm afraid.
Anything less, and you may as well break the seal on a bottle of white spirit.

Wink
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 am

Could make for some good YouTube footage though.

drunken

Grown men, hammered, playing football with little plastic men.
In a strange way, it could prove to be the biggest publicity stunt ever for the game.
I can see hundreds / thousands of facebookers sharing with friends, not because of their interest in the game initially, but because of the drunken fools on / at / under the table.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 am

YEAH! WE SHOULD RUN A SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENT THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN BEFORE!! WE´RE GONNA MAKE HISTORY!!
AND OF COURSE WE NEED A SUPERB BAND PLAYING THE WHOLE NIGHT - maybe Ringo&the fingers all star band!!!
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 pm

ESSGEE wrote:
The cognac would have to be an XO or better, I'm afraid.
Anything less, and you may as well break the seal on a bottle of white spirit.

Wink

nonsense old boy Laughing
Back to top Go down
spudski

spudski

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm going to lower the tone and bring some Scrumpy along too...

I know someone who played at Ely who would win this Tournament hands down... Laughing
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm

THE END... now we can start to run the tournament ...
Back to top Go down
subbuteoman

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 9:44 pm

A great thread men. How are you Achim ? You are one funny German. This Tournament was MADE for me. Count me in ! Subbutteo, late night drinking, friends old and new, music and even Ladies !!!! queen It would be the event of the year. Im not a big whiskey drinker BUT I LOVE Drambuie with ice, sweet and wonderful. After a half bottle of that I would be under the table. Sleep But count me in. Also you have to HAVE to have an Irishman at a tournament like this. No offence Ralph. Laughing
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 4:16 am

none taken last time I looked the Rotunda was still in Ireland..
Back to top Go down
George Best jr.

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:41 am

Hello Paul, great to hear your voice in this forum, and yeah!! its a great wonderful forum with people standing on the shoulder of giants. So I love it - in Germany the players in "my" professional association are all very What a Face anti-septic, ha!!
Yes, thinking about a tournament the world has never seen makes a lot of cheers fun, and of course drinking whisk(e)y is not the qualification to attend, Drambuie is also very fine, Champagne, Jamaica Rum, beers from all over the world ... and of course top music acts. I am asking myself if Ralph is also an Irish man, isn´t he?? He sounds like a man livin in the north, or is he an drunken islay ...??
Back to top Go down
subbuteoman

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 6:31 am

I could have a lot of fun in answering your question George...But...Yes, Ralph is an Irishman born and bred. But he has lived in the North of England now for a long time in a small town called Burnley, so he has lost his Irish accent...Isnt that right Ralph ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 8:33 am

G2 Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE   THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE Empty

Back to top Go down

THE BEST OLD SUBBUTEO TOURNAMENTS WORLDWIDE
Page 1 of 1