South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tournaments

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:07 am

Old Subbuteo is definitely on the up in the South of England at the moment, with Jon Rosten successfully organising the Anglo-Italian Maidenhead Tournament on an annual basis, Mr Santiago successfully running another annual gig, and Adam and the gang getting another event off the ground in Chingford last year.

Just wondered whether MORE TOURNAMENTS are desirable, or is three events enough for the old subby community?

All the action seems to be in the South, so if players would like to get involved more, a few questions ...

What's your favourite kind of format?

( Theme / No Theme )

Is a Subbuteo Fair an essential ingredient / desirable ingredient?

What would be the ideal location? London, Berkshire or other, as not sure where everybody who might be interested in tournaments is based.

( Near a train station, bus station, close to pub / restaurant, accommodation )

Any other thoughts you wanna add ...

Does anybody think it would be a good idea to have an OldSubbuteo site detailing all the OldSubbuteo players who are interested in playing in tournaments / friendlies and their email address / postcode location / county, so that organisers can send invites direct to a database.

Just trying to think of additional ways to raise the profile of the old game, given that new interest may be generated by the recent publicity the hobby is getting.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 3:11 am

some good points there mate, i have been considering organising my own fair & tournament in my area harlow as i think it could work very well , im only 5mins off the m11 and stansted is 20 mins away . if my idea does get of the ground it would be based around the same format as maidenhead and ely as i have attended both and they are brilliantly organised

the issue i have is what time of year as i do not want to clash with both these events

the chingford event i helped promote for adam on the forums for some reason did not work as we had hoped for some reason ,whether it was the location im not . we did have a near full roster of players but we hadquite a few pull out on the day which was a shame due to the effort everyone had put in especially mark santiago who painted up as usual excellent teams for this specific event
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 3:39 am

Great to hear that you are thinking of organising a tourny, Lee!

Perhaps it would be nice to have an OldSubbuteo tour?

CAMBRIDGESHIRE

( Mark 'Mr Santiago' )

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

( JR's )

BERKSHIRE

Another Lionhearts gig?

OXFORDSHIRE

( I'm up for organising one )

WORCESTERSHIRE / GLOUCESTERSHIRE

( Adam Lundy is organising an OldSubbuteo tournament for May this year )

ESSEX

( With yourself, Adam Douglas and Steve Moreton all up for it )

That's a pretty good spread.

Six tournaments would give us one every two months!

Last edited by ESSGEE on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 3:49 am

could work but would everyone be up for travelling to tournements every couple of months im not sure , also holidays etc will come in to play for certain times of the year which is the main headache for me of when to organise for
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 3:49 am

Given the difficulties that arose from having a themed tournament in Chingford, that unfortunately then dictated numbers, perhaps simply selecting a YEAR would be a more accommodating idea? We could have a 'SPIRIT of 66' 'SPIRIT of 74' kind of theme.

Entrants could choose a kit from the HISTORICAL KIT site.

Alternatively, they could bring their own if it is in keeping with the year / theme ( and complies with OldSubbuteo stipulations ).

Also think it would be nice to have no trophies for winners ( given the Old Subbuteo emphasis on taking part, over and above the winning ), but share the budget on making sure that everybody gets an attendance medal to celebrate the day?

Perhaps a match day programme / brochure.

I would be happy to put together an OldSubbuteo site / databse if it was a direction that fans / players / collectors wanted to support? An internet home for all things OldSubbuteo in England?
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 3:57 am

spurs1975 wrote:
could work but would everyone be up for travelling to tournements every couple of months im not sure , also holidays etc will come in to play for certain times of the year which is the main headache for me of when to organise for

It's a good point, but I also feel that very few would attend all the events, and perhaps an even spread might service all of the players some of the time?
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:40 am

Chingford might have gone down better if it hadn't been on a Saturday during the football season ..its not the best starting point for a football related event....Ely is the best because of the starting time you get a decent rest between games and get away home at a reasonable time.

regards Ralph

Chairman SAFL..Vice Chairman AFL..President OAI Wink

I think an oldsubbuteo website on the lines of the superb Italian site with a blanket ban on anything related to ESTFA/FISTF matters would be marvellous
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:55 am

Yeah, I have to say, I like a break between games too. Actually enjoy watching others play their matches.

Would give me an opportunity to take some photos and video the odd encounter.

Good point, with reference to Saturday action, Ralph.
Back to top Go down
southendfan

southendfan

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 am

Think if the events were near train stations, there would be a better turn out. Not everyone has transport. But getting to chingford or bracknell on a sunday, ive got more chance of landing on the moon:bball: Ive found 3 people who wana play subbuteo in southend, and none of them drive. What iam saying is, there probably lots of people that want to play, But carnt travel miles out of a main town. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 6:45 am

yes fair point ralph about the saturday situation , then i think i will have to plan around a sunday as per ely and maidenhead which as i said i will use as a blueprint
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 am

I haven't seen any mention of an Ely 2012 and given the last two have been September 10 and then June 11 if they do have one it could be at any time ?..

Sundays on International break weekends might be a safe bet ? avoid most peoples holidays and Premier/Football League fixtures ? I don't mind travelling although I have thought about hosting a Northern Tournament for later in the year
Back to top Go down
Allwrighty

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 11:04 am

Would anyone be interested in a tournament in lowestoft sunday 24th june ?
i have chosen this day because we have a airshow that weekend, i know the location is out of the way for most people but anyone coming for 2-3 nights( just checked premier inn and travel lodge about £90-£120) could bring family to visit Airshow Saturday stay overnight then send them to local theme park on the Sunday Smile while tournament is on... both hotels are less than a mile away from the venue i would try and get and the theme park is about the same distance, plenty of other attractions in area.
Pub 100 yds, catering facilities

http://www.visit-sunrisecoast.co.uk

http://www.lowestoftairfestival.co.uk/

http://www.pleasurewoodhills.com/index.php

im sure if this could be supported it would make a great weekend break for players and family's ..

i think also be great promotion for the club im trying to start with local radio station just down the road Smile
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 11:22 am

Great to see a growing number of people interested in organising an event!

The future's looking bright, as they say.

Cool
Back to top Go down
ralphtheclaret

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 6:04 pm

What we need is a calendar of events...I've had to give the Copa Libertadores a miss in Lincoln this time as it is the Wednesday of Maidenhead week..now this is something of a shame as I finished 2nd last year although it is a use your own team/bases event this time with hybrid rules which would probably have put me off attending to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tournaments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tournaments   Tournaments Empty

Back to top Go down

Tournaments
Page 1 of 1