South England Lionhearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NGD's Solo League

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 12:20 pm

I posted the same post on the ISF but thought it may be of more interest here.

After a couple of false starts I am starting my solo league tonight.

It is a one division comp - 8 teams - possibly with a 16 team cup. No plans to do relegation. Might do a re-election thing with bottom club if a non-league team does well in the cup etc. Not decided that yet.

The 8 teams are based on real teams and colours. These teams were the first heavyweights I had - so I'm paying homage to that. Can you guess the teams and refs? Do you care

Norton Wanderers
Redpool FC
Everlast United
Fullingham City
Newhouse Rangers
Burndale FC
Middleton United
Wolvendean Athletic

All clubs have 15 men rosters with fictitious players and managers, plus each ground is named.

I'll be using original HWs to start but plan to paint some away kits specific to the teams on replica - I'm imagining that the home sides strips will 'get a life' of their own too and I'll paint them up as and when the muse takes hold.

I'll keep you posted on the leagues progress.
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 7:24 pm

GREAT STUFF, NGD!

cheers

Look forward to following all of the action.
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 8:15 am

Thought I'd update you on my league. 7 games played so far. I'm hopefully on course to finish season by the end of the year.

There's been lots of very close games so far. Redpool are top but have drawn their last 3 games 0-0 Shocked

League table below.

NGD's Solo League Ngd_1_10

I've painted up 8 of 16 teams (home & away) so far and am introducing them as I complete them. I'll pop some pics up shortly.

Last edited by newgolddream on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 9:03 am

Great thing about solo play is that its so unpredictable, you can get two 0-0 scores and then a 5-1. The whole idea of solo should not really work but somehow it does. Looking forward to seeing the teams.
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 9:47 am

Great stuff! Like Steve, looking forward to seeing some teams and action shots.
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 6:30 pm

OK - I've got some more of the teams completed and based up ready for the solo league. I've tried to do something a little different with the kits, in an attempt to give each team its own identity. By and large I've achieved what I set out to do and am pretty stoked with them. Just gotta get them out onto the green now Smile

First up are current league leaders, Redpool FC. They started life as Liverpool but now have their own red, white & teal kit.

The change kit has the teal and red as accents on the front and back of the shirt.

REDPOOL HOME
NGD's Solo League Redpoo11

REDPOOL AWAY
NGD's Solo League Redpoo10
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Brilliant! Really nicely done. Top kits.

This is definitely the next step for me, once I have the stadium painted up and assembled. Busy at it today!

Last edited by ESSGEE on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
forfoxsake

forfoxsake

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:59 am

Very nice couple of kits there Will
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 9:24 am

Very nice, just seen your pitch side figures on the ISF which look great. I'm just converting some SSG figures into stewards.
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:58 am

Cheers gentlemen, I'm glad you like - I have some more photos to sort and will pop more teams up as I go.

Thx Gulls - I like the pitchside figs, which are also posted up here! I have a load of 'wehonest' figs that I'm going to stewardise too. A little dayglo vest is all you need Wink
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 8:03 pm

A couple of simple kits for Middleton

MIDDLETON UTD HOME

NGD's Solo League Middle10

MIDDLETON UTD AWAY

NGD's Solo League Middle11

Last edited by newgolddream on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Very tidy, Will!
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 7:56 pm

All teams are done now -

NGD's Solo League 16_sol10

TBH i have enjoyed painting these so much I'm planning a 2nd Division now too.

Back to top Go down
Gullseye

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Wow ! Painting teams is one of life's pleasures, you know you will do a 2nd division. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Brilliant, Will.
This is a pleasure to follow.
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Just a few more teams - won't upload the lot as I wouldn't want to bore you. I will pop up some action shots in due course.

NGD's Solo League Wolven10

NGD's Solo League Newhou10

NGD's Solo League Norton10

NGD's Solo League Newhou11
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Not bored, Will. Keep 'em coming!
Back to top Go down
spurs1975

spurs1975

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 am

great teams mate cheers

is that newhole rangers or newhouse rangers WinkLaughing
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Wheels have fallen off big time with the solo league. My online record of the league got deleted too Sad quite a hassle.

Anyhow - all fixtures now re-entered & I've played 18 games in the last 24 hours - keen to finish this season by months end.

Here is the table after 10 games.

Everlast went from 8th to 4th with two great wins away from home. Both games could have gone either way with Norton missing a host of chances, and Redpool being wasteful in front of goal too.

Norton 2 v 5 Everlast
Redpool 1 v 2 Everlast

[img]NGD's Solo League Ngd_so10[/img]
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Newhouse Rangers are sitting quietly in 6th having only lost 3. I fancy a few bob on them. Wink
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Hehe - thanks for your interest Gulls.

I had a few more games since posting. I want to finish up and start a new season in March.

NGD's Solo League Ngd_1_10

Cocked up the run in due to playing the fixtures out of order because the online fixture list issue.

Last edited by newgolddream on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 12:59 am

Well that put the kybosh on them !! Laughing
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Final table

It's been a good comp & I've really enjoyed it. Quite low scoring - I think it is my keepers I've made, they are quite hard to beat. I've started adjusting my solo rules as I go too which has increased goals & excitement in the games - I think I still need to tinker with them further. I do use blocking flicks and intend to continue so realise that will lower scores across the board.

I'm also just planning a simple cup comp at the minute - just the eight league teams this time out. Also I've got one additional team to add to the league next time, and am considering a second. I don't really want byes so guess I'll have to create another team.

NGD's Solo League Final_10
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 8:45 am

The Cup Competition is underway

Redpool FC 0 v 1 Norton Wanderers
Burndale FC 1 v 0 Newhouse Rangers
Middleton United 2 v 1 Wolvendean Athletic

Still to play

EVERLAST UND v FULLINGHAM CITY

Redpool out - shock that one. Burndale make it three wins out of three after doing the double against Newhouse.
Middleton came from a goal down to progress to the semis.

The final fixture to be played later today sees Everlast take on Fullingham. Everlast did the double over Fullingham this season so the form book favours them...we shall see.

Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 7:17 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. Really nicely done!
Needs a SOUTH HAMPTON UNITED added :-)
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Cheers mate - the additional team are Sheil Park - They do play in red and white stripes though (currently represented by ref 52. Chances are they will morph into a Chelsea away kit from the 70's...the one with the green red stripe on the front - I've not quite decided yet.
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 9:21 pm

NGD's Solo League Img_2410

A new team for the league Sheil Park as mentioned above. The new season is likely to start within the next week. I still have Shrugborough Town's away kit to do...
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:55 pm

I realsied i didn't put up the full scores for the Cup Comp.

Fullingham surprise winners. I guess their name was on the cup after winning twice aet & pens. Burndale the bridesmaids again!

NGD's Solo League Ngd_so11
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:13 pm

The NGD Solo League Season 2 is now well underway.

I'm also in the process of painting up extra teams - initially as part of an expanded cup comp but ultimately to include as either an extension to Div 1 or a Div 2 league.

I'm undecided whether to reduce the 1st div back to 8 teams. I like the quick (in theory) turn over and an extra division will inject extra excitement with relegation & promotion too.

I'll post some team/action pictures shortly.

Meanwhile here is the table- last years 1 & 2 place teams are struggling...to say the least!

NGD's Solo League Ngd_so11
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 7:09 am

I'm not into quick turn overs. Laughing My 1983/4 league has now been running for 18 months.

Looking forward to your photo's.
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 5:04 pm

A recent fixture between league new boys Sheil Park (stripes) and Shrugborough Town (in their white away kit).

NGD's Solo League Shrugb10

NGD's Solo League Sheil_10

NGD's Solo League Sheil_11
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Redpool 1 v 0 Wolvendean

Action from a recent clash - Champions Redpool, currently languishing 3rd from bottom grab a vital win over league leaders Wolvendean.

NGD's Solo League Redpoo10
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySun May 05, 2013 8:59 pm

Redpool, proving what they say, it's harder to retain a title, Will :-)
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Indeed mate - they have hit a rich vein of form in recent matches and soared up the table. It is very tight in the NGD - not many points separating the clubs at present.

I'm featuring some action from the league on my new blog - check out www.subbuteonz.blogspot.com

I'm due to put up 6 new teams for a 2nd Division too.
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 12:57 pm

A stunning match concluded the NGD season 2.

Top side Wolvendean played Redpool who at the start of play were sitting second, two points adrift.

The match started brightly and was an open and flowing affair. Wolvendean, who only needed a draw to clinch the title, did not sit back - but powered forward numerous times in the opening quarter of the game. They got their reward following a well worked move that left striker (insert name) one on one with the keeper. The keeper seemed rooted to the spot (as indeed he was...well, more like stuck to a door stop with some blu-tack) and the ball was slotted cooly home. The game continued end to end, but Redpool couldn't muster a meaningful shot on goal until just before the break when a slide rule pass was drilled into the net at the near post by Coca Kit.

After the break Wolvendean lay seige to the Redpool goal and increased their lead. Only a combination of smart saves and poor finishing kept the away in the game. However, as the half grew on Redpool increased in confidence and after a finely crafted move managed to regain parity with a well taken goal by Cooper.

Wolvendean initially rocked, continued to produce some moments to delight and looked to be taking the point they needed to be worthy winners of the league. Redpool seemed all out of ideas. With a minute to go a hopeful punt upfield left Redpool wideman Jared Quimby to chase but he failed to get there. What should have been a simple clearance turned to disaster, when the Wolvendean left back nervously missed the ball and found his head brushing the base of the advanced opposition player. The ref had no option but be point to the penalty spot. Kit stepped up to convert the kick and put the team in red (and sky and white) into the lead.

There was barely time for the restart before the ref blew the whistle (or in actual fact, for the song to finish – as I play by number of tracks rather than exact times...I like it better that way).

Redpool regain their title after a difficult season – Wolvendean will never come as close again without winning it.

Pictures to follow... (Got to get back to work Sad )

Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 9:34 am

So here is the league table after the final match.

It is noticeable how close the league is, even down to 5th/6th a couple of wins could see a side actually winning it. I'm considering ways of increasing the goals per game ratio. I've dispensed with blocking flicks in a number of games this season and yet still the goal tally hasn't reflected that. To be fair I do enjoy it the way it is, so may just come to terms with the fact that NGD is a low scoring league.

Next up is the Cup. The draw has been made and includes the six new teams. Newhouse and Sheil Park will be joining them in Division Two a few weeks from now.

NGD's Solo League Ngd_2_10

Back to top Go down
Gullseye

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 7:20 pm

I looked at my league after 18 games and the top three have the following goal records 32-18, 38-25 and 31-26. The bottom three 18-25, 19-28 and 24-33.

My rules are 10 minutes each way, no blocking, home team has only two flicks per player in opposition half and away team has only one per player. Goalkeeping, the goalie is mounted in diving position and placed for every shot. I did used to operate the goalie and shoot at the same time but you can't really shoot properly so I opted for Foxy's method which does work well.

I think its what ever you are most comfortable with after trial and error. The one flick per player on the away side does give a realistic home advantage. I still get a good number of away wins.
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Cheers Gulls. An interesting insight into your methods. Your goals per game are certainly higher but the spread of GD is comparable I think.

After my Smiths timer crapped out, I don't play by the clock, I program my cd player to play a few tracks and then I stop when they end. It's interesting, as when I know the songs well, I know they are about to finish and that can add a bit of thrill factor - rather than watching a clock (does that make sense?)

I do static goalies like Jim too to as I wanted to get rid of the rod issue. I place them before shots - except corners where I can hit a moving ball without the defence moving.

I'll continue to adapt my rules - but as I said earlier it's working reasonably well - except for the meagre goals per game.

Two of my goalies...

NGD's Solo League Solo_k10
Back to top Go down
Gullseye

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 4:35 am

I like the ingenious mounting. The one on the right looks like an old Rolo Laughing Mine are just sunk into a piece of BluTack on 10p coins.

I've recreated to actual English First Division seasons so far in solo play but it really is a marathon. Thinking of doing four divisions of12 with promotion and relegation but not actually playing all the games. May be using a Ralph system of dice or cards for the bulk of the games. I may just actually play the top division over the course of a season.
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 5:32 am

Great thread, Will, and lovin' your solo tweaks, Gully.
Many thanks for sharing
cheers
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 5:35 am

I see Redpool clinched the title again!
It's great to see patterns in the evolving history. It gives the clubs personality. Keep up the great work, Will. I'm off to check out your blog.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
newgolddream

newgolddream

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 pm

Thanks Steve, you are right the teams are definitely taking on personalities!

The cup comp started this weekend and features 6 non-league teams (these will form the basis of next seasons Div 2.

Here are 2 teams, both of which I used to play for, many moons ago & hence the naming. The kits are based on the real ones too, but I've adapted them as I wanted to do something a little different.

FORD CELTIC - This one looks a heap better in real life, although if I did it again I would change the green to something a little less army (if was much nicer wet) Rolling Eyes

NGD's Solo League Ford_c10

AFC LITHERLAND

NGD's Solo League Afc_li10
Back to top Go down
ESSGEE

ESSGEE

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 7:59 am

Quality, Will.
You need a website to host all this safely / independently.
Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NGD's Solo League Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGD's Solo League   NGD's Solo League Empty

Back to top Go down

NGD's Solo League
Page 1 of 1